Book Review: The Art of Frozen

The Art of Frozen - Charles Solomon, Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee

Book: The Art of Frozen

Author: Charles Solomon

Genre: Non-Fiction, Animation, Art Design, Film, Film Design

Summary: In Disney’s Frozen, fearless optimist Anna sets off on an epic journey - teaming up with rugged mountain man Kristoff and his loyal reindeer Sven - to find her sister, Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter. Encountering Everest-like conditions, mystical trolls, and a hilarious snowman named Olaf, Anna and Kristoff battle the elements in a race to save the kingdom. Taking inspiration from Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tale “The Snow Queen” and the culture and landscape of Norway, the artists of Frozen have created a dynamic, other-worldly icy setting filled with striking background work and detailed costumes. Featuring stunning artwork from the film’s creation - including sketches, storyboards, colorscripts, and much more - The Art of Frozen is the ultimate behind-the-scenes look at the research and artistry that went into the making of this wintry action-packed adventure. -Chronicle Books, 2013

Yes, I am, in fact, a victim of Frozen fever. Not the short, because I haven’t seen it (yet), but the movie. I really loved the artwork, the songs, the story - everything. Yes, there are flaws, but overall, I enjoyed the movie immensely.

With that said, I purchased this particular book because I cared enough about the material to say to myself that I can invest in an “Art Of” book without wasting $40-50.

Yes, art books are expensive.

I was not disappointed. The artwork is absolutely gorgeous - both hand drawn and digital. I still have more admiration and respect for hand drawn animation since it’s not as popular and I think the magic of creating a moving image by a hand and a pencil/pen is just incredible. Even so, the digital artwork for this film was equally incredible. I have a ton of more respect for animators.

I loved the extra designs and the scrapped designs of the characters. Learning the history of the film was really great! It’s really clear that the animators and writers knew what they were doing when they made the film - they did their research!

I think the only people who would enjoy this book are fans of Frozen and animation gurus. There was a lot of jargon in the book that I didn’t understand when it came to certain terms about the animation and designing. I’d probably understand what they were talking about more if I took an animation or design class.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable book, the craftsmanship is incredible, and I learned a lot about this lovely film!

I give The Art of Frozen an A+.

~*~

Please support the authors and creators by purchasing the book or borrowing it from a friend or local library. :)