Advanced Book Review: A Brush with Shadows

A Brush with Shadows - Anna Lee Huber

Summary: Sebastian Gage returns home to battle the ghosts of his past and prevent them from destroying his future with Kiera in the latest exciting installment in this national bestselling series.

July 1831. It's been fifteen years since Sebastian Gage has set foot in Langstone Manor. Though he has shared little with his wife, Lady Kiera Darby, about his past, she knows that he planned never to return to the place of so many unhappy childhood memories. But when an urgent letter from his grandfather reaches them in Dublin, Ireland, and begs Gage to visit, Kiera convinces him to go.

All is not well at Langstone Manor. Gage's grandfather, the Viscount Tavistock, is gravely ill, and Gage's cousin Alfred has suddenly vanished. He wandered out into the moors and never returned. The Viscount is convinced someone or something other than the natural hazards of the moors is to blame for Alfred's disappearance. And when Alfred's brother Rory goes missing, Kiera and Gage must concede he may be right. Now, they must face the ghosts of Gage's past, discover the truth behind the local superstitions, and see beyond the tricks being played by their very own eyes to expose what has happened to Gage's family before the moors claim yet another victim...

I realize the book is out now, but I got this as an advanced reader in Penguin's First to Read program.

I loved this book so much. The mystery was fantastic and I was sucked in by the writing and the characters. I have spoiled myself for past books, but I picked up a few of the beginning novels so I'll get to see Kiera and Gage's relationship from the beginning later!

This book did focus a good amount of time on Gage's past and his relationships with his living family members, but since it's part of a series and character development of part and parcel of a series. It also, in my opinion, didn't take away from the main mystery at hand, which is to find Gage's cousin. I love Kiera and Gage's relationship as well. They're so loving, clever, and sweet, as well as respectful. It's truly fun to read about them and how they solve mysteries together.

The plot was great overall and every character made an impression on me. I didn't think there were any weak characters. The writing was very good as well; it flowed beautifully. Pacing was very well done; I didn't think anything was rushed or dragged.

I can't wait to read more of this series.

Overall, I give A Brush with Shadows an A+.