Book Review: Montana Sky

Montana Sky - Nora Roberts

Book: Montana Sky

Author: Nora Roberts

Genre: Fiction/Romance/Mystery

Summary: When Jack Mercy died, he left behind a ranch worth nearly twenty million dollars. Now his three daughters - each born of a different mother, and each unknown by the others - are gathered to hear the reading of the will. But the women are shocked to learn that before any of them can inherit, they must live together on the ranch for one year. They are sisters . . . and strangers. Now they face a challenge: to put their bitterness aside and live like a family. To protect each other from danger - and unite against an enemy who threatens to destroy them all . . . -Berkley Publishing Group, 1996.

I will freely admit that I was firmly anti-Nora Roberts before I read this book. I knew she was the Empress of Romance Novels and I judged her harshly and unfairly. One of my former co-workers at Barnes & Noble was a huge fan of Roberts and recommended a few novels to me to convince me that I was wrong. This was one of them.

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this story. All three women had their own unique storylines; their own troubles and enemies to overcome. Every character was so well-written that I had no trouble remembering everyone.

I enjoyed the characters in spite of the obvious romance novel archetypes - the will they, won't they couple, the destined-for-each-other couple, and the I-want-you-more-than-you-want-me couple. I can easily see this being on A&E or something. I'd say it would make a good Hallmark special, but the gruesome nature of the main plot would disqualify it. While the girls figure out how to receive their inheritance and reconcile their differences, they must unmask a dangerous killer before it's too late.

The main plot was very good, very well-written; it's a chilling mystery that will keep you guessing until the very end. The inheritance plotline is what you expect it to be, if you're familiar with those kinds of stories.

I really appreciated Roberts's writing. I felt like I was standing on the Montana plains, looking out at the mountains. It's very vivid and full of life. I have other books of hers lined up, but I would read anything of hers for the writing quality alone. I can safely say I have been converted. I'm glad my co-worker recommended this book to me.

Overall, I give Montana Sky an A.

~*~

Please support the author by buying the book or by borrowing it from a friend or from your local library.

Thanks for reading!