Book Review: The Angel Stone

The Angel Stone - Juliet Dark, Carol Goodman

Book: The Angel Stone

Author: Juliet Dark

Genre: Fiction/Supernatural/Women/Witches/Magic

Summary (from back of Ballantine Books version): For Callie McFay, a half-witch/half-fey professor of folklore and Gothic literature, the fight to save the enchanted town of Fairwick, New York, is far from over. After a hostile takeover by the Grove-a sinister group of witches and their cohorts-many of the local fey have been banished or killed, including Callie’s one true love. And in place of the spirit of tolerance and harmony, the new administration at Fairwick College has fostered an air of danger and distrust. With her unique magical abilities, Callie is the only one who can rescue her friends from exile and restore order to the school-a task that requires her to find the Angel Stone, a talisman of immense power. Propelled on an extraordinary quest back to the seventeenth-century Scotland, Callie risks her life to obtain the stone. Yet when she encounters a sexy incarnation of her lost love, she finds the greater risk is to her heart. As the fate of Fairwick hangs in the balance, Callie must make a wrenching choice: reclaim a chance for eternal passion or save everything she holds dear. -Ballantine Books, 2013

This review will probably be just as short, if not, shorter than the last two. This is simply because of my spoiler rule. Granted, the summary of the book has spoiled some things, but I don't want to spoil them any further.

Basic Plot: The final climax of the events from the last two books comes to fruition in the final book. Callie must find a way to save her friends and comrades from the evil that has invaded and taken over Fairwick. In order to do this, she must overcome self-imposed obstacles as well as external ones. Once she does so, she comes out of it comfortable with her identity as well as the choices she has made in the past. At the end of it all, she must come to terms with who she is and who she wants to be while vanquishing her final foe.

Comments: I think Callie truly grows the most in this book, mostly because the final climax/battle has been set up in the last book (Water Witch) so there's no need to focus on it as much. The events of this book entwine with Callie's development and are crucial to Callie's development as a character. She can't fully accept herself until she completes her mission. Only then can she look at herself and decide whether or not she's happy with who she has become. It's nice to see her grow without it being the total focus of the novel. The reader can see her change and develop through her actions and words, rather than being told, which is important to have in a novel.

The pacing is pretty even. It's not too fast and not too slow. I'd say the only time it slows/drags a bit is when the time travel part comes into play. Now, the time travel twist was certainly interesting, but a part of me still thinks it took away from the novel as a whole. While the time travel was necessary to the plot and it helps, in part, the reader understand the myths and legends introduced in the first two books, I still found it slightly distracting. It didn't exactly come out of the blue, but it lingered a little too long introducing characters who, for the most part, aren't entirely necessary. There are exceptions however, and these exceptions are pretty cleverly woven into the storyline. Dark/Goodman can never be underestimated when it comes to interlocking plot lines and characters. Everyone is connected in some way, shape, or form.

The plot picks up right from where Water Witch left off, give or take a few weeks/months. So, anyone trying to read them out of order or alone won't have much luck understanding the story in full.

The amount of romance is very, very little. There are some scenes and chapters devoted to it, but not to many. This is mostly because the climax of the "Callie is hero" plot is more important and rightfully so. I didn't mind that it wasn't all about the romance. Dark/Goodman doesn't leave you dry, but she doesn't overindulge either.

I'd say my only other nitpick about this is the ending. It's not bad, but, I wasn't entirely satisfied. It seemed...random, I guess. For a story as passionate and devoted as this trilogy has, I would think it deserved a better conclusion, but that's just me.

Overall, I give The Angel Stone an A.

~*~

Thanks for reading!

Please support the author by buying the book in a bookstore or online, or borrowing it from a local library or a friend.